Job Title: Local Organiser (Fixed term contract, 4 days p/w)
Responsible to: Leader of the Labour Group
Salary: 26,454 pro rata
Location: Southend / Remote
Job Details: The Local Organiser will be responsible for ensuring effective campaign organisation working towards local elections in Southend.
Southend Council has a Labour leader for the first time in history and we are taking Southend forward. We are aiming to build on our success and continue to grow our party and our Labour Group. Our local organiser will play a leading role in our election campaigning into May 2022 elections and beyond, working alongside our councillors and candidates.
- To work with the relevant stakeholders to motivate and organise the members in preparation of the May 2022 elections.
- To lead and organise campaigning activity as determined by the Labour Group.
- To work with the Regional Office where appropriate.
- To provide training to members on election techniques, production of newsletters, voter i/d (doorstep and telephone), registration and postal votes.
- To identify campaign leaders and provide training and support to campaign leaders and members on organising and campaigning.
- To develop local fundraising and fundraising schemes to ensure the CLPs in the area have adequate funding to organise, campaign and contest elections.
- To develop communications systems with branches, members and other units of the party and affiliated organisations in the area to promote Labour Party achievements and Party activities;
- To work with candidates, elected representatives and local parties to identify, develop, motivate and organise members and supporters.
- To Plan and organise local policy forums and carry out policy and public engagement visits and events when required.
- Building up membership and membership activity in the constituency in line with the Party’s aims and objectives.
- To report on the level of all activity, organisation and the effective operation of Labour Party rules in the area to the relevant Labour Group where appropriate.
- Knowledge and understanding of the Labour Party organisation at branch, constituency and regional level.
- Knowledge of campaigning techniques.
- Knowledge of running fundraising schemes.
- Experience of being involved in a campaign.
- Experience of working with volunteers.
- Experience of working on own initiative.
- Experience of fundraising.
(a) Communication Skills including:
- Ability to communicate concisely both verbally and in written form.
- Ability to use DTP packages to produce leaflets.
- Ability to work with and lead a wide range of people.
- Ability to motivate people.
- Ability to draft newsletters.
(b) Organising skills including:
- Ability to organise recruitment and retention activities.
- Ability to organise events, such as training events.
- Ability to organise a group of volunteers.
- Ability to organise an election campaign.
(c) Administrative skills including:
- Ability to use a basic WP package.
- Ability to run a well-organised office.
- A driver’s license is desirable
Closing Date: 24th November 2021
- Interviews will take place via zoom on Friday 26th November.
- The successful candidate will start as soon as possible after interview.
Please email Ian Gilbert (email@example.com) with a CV and covering letter.