SOUTHEND LABOUR WELCOME TO THE SOUTHEND LABOUR GROUP WEBSITE
Labour ran Southend council in coalition with other groups between June 2014 and May 2016. Over that time we achieved much for our town. Our administration:
- Protected Children’s Centres and Libraries from further cuts
- Started building council housing again in the first time in two decades
- Saved the council’s remaining care homes, Priory and Delaware houses which were threatened with closure
- Scrapped the unpopular and unnecessary proposals for a sea wall in Shoeburyness
- Forced the developers to finally take action on the derelict buildings on Victoria Avenue
- Set up the community hub in the Victorias shopping centre, as a template for other community hubs in the borough
- Invested in green technology, including speeding up the roll-out of the new LED lights, helping to keep the lights on in Southend
- Set up Southend Energy, which has saved thousands of Southend residents money on their gas and electric bills
- Started the Better Queensway project
- Brought forward a digital strategy which has brought free wi-fi to our public spaces and super-fast broadband to our schools and businesses
Labour in Administration gets things done. Since the Conservatives regained control of the council two years ago we’ve seen nothing but warm words and rising Council Tax bills. The Conservatives have failed to grasp the challenges of rising homelessness, deteriorating public safety, poor housing and struggling businesses.
Southend residents have had enough of talking, it’s time for action.