SOUTHEND LABOUR WELCOME TO THE SOUTHEND LABOUR GROUP WEBSITE
Education & skills
Southend has some excellent schools, but also some that have struggled for a very long period time. Our focus will be to make sure every child gets a good education regardless of where they are born and in what circumstances. We need to up-skill our workforce, but we also need to value learning for its own sake. Our prosperity lies in our digital, creative and cultural industries, and that should be reflected in our education system.
- Focus attention back on early years provision and the provision of Sure Start/Better Care Fund resources. Look at cooperative and community-led models to manage and run children’s centres in the future.
- Work with Southend Adult Community College to promote a culture of lifelong learning.
- Seek to build an ethos where every educational establishment is part of its community and encourage greater use of school facilities out of hours.
- Use the Council’s procurement power to increase the number of locally-based apprenticeships available to young people in the town.
- Ensure that children receive sex and relationship education appropriate to their age, for their safety and wellbeing.