SOUTHEND LABOUR WELCOME TO THE SOUTHEND LABOUR GROUP WEBSITE
Crime & anti-social behaviour
Essex Police have now has 787 fewer Police Officers than in 2010, and PCSOs and support staff have also been slashed. Undoubtedly the disbanding of the Police’s Town Beat section has led to people feeling far less safe and secure on the High Street. We will reorganise and increase the Council’s resources for enforcement to deliver a uniformed presence for the High Street and other key areas of the Borough, with the powers to deal with low-level anti-social behaviour and provide a visual deterrence and reassurance for our public spaces.
- Create a new highly visible enforcement service to tackle environmental crime, anti-social behaviour, and also to provide visual deterrence and reassurance.
- Work in partnership to integrate various warden schemes with the Council’s enforcement and anti-social behaviour teams.
- Ensure that new development is built in a way that is safe and secure by design.
- Review the level of lighting in streets across the Borough and invest where appropriate; we will not switch the street lights off, unlike Tory Essex.
- Ensure there is appropriate provision for those escaping domestic violence – seek a partnership approach with other councils, and work towards white ribbon accreditation for the council.