SOUTHEND LABOUR WELCOME TO THE SOUTHEND LABOUR GROUP WEBSITE
A sustainable economy that allows local businesses to thrive
We will encourage community participation in the provision of council services as a method of genuinely empowering local communities.
- In-source council contracts wherever practical, considering wider social value (local jobs and keeping money in the local economy) as well as cost.
- Review procurement (what the Council spends its money on) to make sure as much spending as possible stays local, drawing on the successful examples of models employed by other councils such as Preston City Council.
- Champion ethical employment, pay the Real Living Wage to all staff employed directly by the council, and work towards being a fully accredited Living Wage employer in terms of both staff and contractors.
- Support small business with flexible workspace, small shop units, ‘box parks’ etc.
- Build on the full-fibre roll-out and other elements of the council’s digital strategy, including the provision of modern, high-connectivity office space in the town centre.
- Develop and support community partnerships to protect and improve the character of our smaller high streets, such as Hamlet Court Road, Leigh Broadway, West Road (Shoeburyness) and Southchurch Road.
- Review the council’s use of debt collection agencies in respect of vulnerable people.