SOUTHEND LABOUR WELCOME TO THE SOUTHEND LABOUR GROUP WEBSITE
Creating a safe Southend
Essex Police have over six hundred fewer Police Officers than in 2010 – Police Community Support Officers (PCSOs) and support staff numbers have also been slashed. Undoubtedly the disbanding of the Police’s Town Beat section has led to people feeling far less safe and secure on the High Street.
- Lobby national government and the Police, Fire and Crime Commissioner for Essex for re-investment in the Police service in order to return Southend to 2010 numbers of police officers and Police Community Support Officers (PCSOs).
- Support the council’s Community Safety Team to refocus on preventing anti-social behaviour, professional begging and environmental issues whilst Police/PCSOs better focus their limited resources across the borough.
- Commit at least £150K a year over five years for additional street lighting where infill is needed.
- Include policies on sexual harassment within the licensing framework for licensed venues in the town.
- Run hard-hitting information campaigns making it clear how the buying of illegal drugs supports the exploitation of children and vulnerable adults.
- Work closely with local organisations to support people who are homeless and make sure that they get a full package of care that helps them into a home and then to be able to remain there.
- Highlight and oppose cuts to our Fire and Rescue Service including cuts to pay.