Health & Social Care
Protect and improve local health services
The Labour Party nationally and locally fundamentally disagrees with the way the Conservatives are running our NHS. We persuaded the whole Council to refer the decision about the restructuring of NHS services in Southend back to the Secretary of State for Health. His decision is awaited.
- Continue to scrutinise the Sustainability & Transformation Plan (STP) for local NHS Services. We will ensure any proposed changes at least maintain the current standard of healthcare in Southend and are in the best interests of the people of Southend.
- Develop the projects for new health centres in Shoeburyness and in the west of the borough as set out in the Labour-backed amendment to the 2019/20 Council budget.Challenge the use of NHS branding by private companies.
- Improve adult social care
- Expand the public sector provision of care, using the council-owned Care Company, and increase investment in the workforce to drive up standards.
- Recognise and support the work of the community and voluntary sector in complementing, but not replacing, the work done within the public sector, particularly in reducing loneliness and isolation, and improving the mental health of the local population.