As one of the top 75 target seats in England & Wales for the Labour Party, the NEC has directed Rochford & Southend East to select a Prospective Parliamentary Candidate (PPC) before Christmas, using an all-women shortlist. This PCC will be selected at a meeting on 10th December 2017, at 14.30 at Southend Unitarians Meeting House, Grange Gardens, Southend on Sea, SS1 2LL.
Members of the CLP will shortly be receiving letters outlining whether or not they are eligible to participate in this process, and explaining the procedure for postal ballots. Eligibility is based on having joined the Party before 22nd April 2017, and being up to date with membership fees.
The Selection Committee has agreed the timetable will be as follows:
- 8th November 2017: the deadline for applications from potential candidates.
- 9th to 22nd November 2017: Branches and affiliates may make nominations.
- 23rd November 2017: the Selections Committee will draw up a longlist.
- 25th November 2017: the Selections Committee will interview longlisted candidates.
- 25th November 2017: the Selections Committee will draw up a shortlist.
- 26th November 2017: shortlisted candidates may campaign for members’ votes.
- 10th December 2017: a hustings will be held to elect the PPC by preferential ballot.
Those wishing to apply to be the PPC must have 12 months of membership by 22nd October 2017, and must email the Procedures Secretary at firstname.lastname@example.org to be sent the application forms and relevant documents. The deadline for applications is 8th November 2017. Candidates are reminded that Rochford & Southend East is an all-women shortlist.