Disabled people threatened by benefit changes
Councillor Ian Gilbert has raised concerns that Government changes to benefits will seriously disadvantage disabled people.
Councillor Gilbert, Leader of the Labour Group, said, "Relatives and carers of disabled people are visiting my surgery seriously distressed by what the government is doing. Their concerns are underlined by this cross-party report."
The main points of the Human Rights Committee report are:
- Reforms to benefits and services risk leaving disabled people without the support they need to live independently
- Restrictions in local authority eligibility criteria for social care support
- Replacement of the Disability Living Allowance with Personal Independence Payment
- The closure of the Independent Living Fund and changes to housing benefit risk interacting in a particularly harmful way for disabled people
- Some people fear that the cumulative impact of these changes will force them out of their homes and local communities and into residential care.
The full report can be accessed here.